We found you your new dream home—your boxes and bags are packed—the only thing left to do is move! You have even selected one of the awesome moving companies in Raleigh (more to come on that), now, you are wondering if it is appropriate to tip the movers if they do a good job… Our clients ask us all the time if they should tip movers and if so, how do you determine tip and how much per mover? We have the answers for you below!
How Much Do You Tip Movers?
As most people know, in the service and beauty industry, a good tip is 20% while 15% is standard, but what is the standard tip for movers? If your movers do a great job, it is absolutely ok to acknowledge their efforts with a tip. A general guideline is to tip movers at $4 to $5 per person for each hour of work.
Here is a customary tipping guide from MyMove.com:
- A half-day move (four hours or less): $20 per person
- A full eight-hour day: $40 per person
- 12 hours or more: $50-$60 per person
“Ultimately, the tip you provide should reflect the level of service and degree of difficulty involved.”
Do You Have to Tip Movers?
Most movers do not expect a tip, however, when they receive one it is greatly appreciated. A tip is a way to show that you recognize the extra effort the movers have put in. Pay attention to how the movers treat your things and interact with you throughout the process. If you feel they have done a good job, a tip would be appropriate.
How Do I Decide How Much to Tip?
While the guide above is a great rule of thumb, there are factors that you should consider when deciding how much to tip movers. YouMoveMe.com highlights a few things you should take into account when you are deciding the final amount to tip.
- How organized were were you prior to their arrival? Did you already have things labeled? If they are not already labeled and ready to go, you may want to tip more for their extra effort.
- How was the weather? No one likes to move when it is very hot or when it is raining or snowing.
- Did they pack the items for you? Some moving companies provide packing services. Don’t forget about the packers who keep your breakable items safe.
- How many hours are they working on-site with you? An average move for a three-bedroom house might take between seven and 10 hours. Did your move take londer than anticipated?
- Are they moving items upstairs/downstairs? Moving a sectional couch up a flight of stairs is a difficult task that takes some serious muscle and maneuvering.
- How many oversized items are included in your move? The contents of an average 1,000 square foot apartment weigh more than 5,000 pounds!
You may also choose to tip movers based on intangibles like whether they were especially kind and friendly to your family or if they do special things to make the move easier on your kids.
How Much Should You Tip Long-Distance Movers?
Long-distance moves follow many of the same guidelines mentioned above but you may have two different crews to tip—one at your old home and one at the new one.
Others Ways to Show Appreciation to Your Movers
In addition to a tip, here are a few other ways you can treat your movers.
- Water or sodas
- Lunch or dinner
- Gift cards
- Leave a review
Be careful with “pizza and beer” or providing any alcohol. Many companies have strict policies about employees consuming alcohol while they are on the job.
Moving Companies in the Triangle
Choosing a moving company can seem like a daunting task. Here are a few of the movers we’ve personally worked with and we trust.
Let’s Talk About What Comes Before the Move…